Thursday, October 07, 2010

A Year Ago Today

This has got to be one of the hardest post for me to ever write. I've only typed one sentence and I'm already tearing up. One year ago today my Grandmother Corry Waworuntu - Kaligis passed away. It was truly been the saddest day of my life. I loved this woman more than anything. She has been the true pillar of our entire Kaligis - Waworuntu family. My Grandmother raised a total of 5 children.... 2 sons and 3 daughters (including my mom).

I had always felt a certain connection between us that I have only ever shared with a few people in my life. Have you ever met someone and just felt like they were not only of the same type as you, but almost an extension of your own self? My grandma was like that for me and I see so much of myself in her. My grandma and I, we had special moments together :')

When she passed away it wasn't exactly an unexpected passing as she had been slipping away for quite some time and had alzheimers had slowly robbed her of her memory and functioning. For the first time in my life, I felt myself shatter from the inside out and as much as I tried to work through it, felt totally consumed by the pain of losing someone so close. A year after her death, I still feel that gnawing snese of grief within. 

I miss her. 
I miss her smile. 
I miss her laugh. 
I miss her prayers. 
I miss her voice. 
Her strength. 
I miss her UNCONDITIONAL LOVE that she has for our family. 
I miss the funny sayings she would say to me as I was growing up. 
I miss her cookings. 
I miss knowing that she is just a phone call away or that we could just drive to Bandung and she would be there. 

But for now... see you in my dreams grandma! 

Oma in her youth, in Makassar.
The day Opa Ade and Oma Corry tied the knot :)
Oma with her parents and her children
Oma with her children and grandchildren
On her daughter's (my mom) master graduation ceremony.
Oma and two of her brothers (She had 5).
Opening her Christmas present :)
She was loved by her grandchildren.
with her dear brother, Dee Waworuntu.
On her 83rd birthday in Bandung. I love you Oma...

No comments:

Share This!


share/bookmark

Pin it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails