- I want you. I want you. I want you. Anything to avoid saying: I love you.
- Silence is the bluntest of blunt instruments.
How to Save Your Own Life, 1977.
- All people believe their suffering is greater than others.
- Inevitably, I drank too much, talked too much, smiled too hard, swallowed back too much bile.
- The worst thing about jealousy is how low it makes you reach.
- Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't...
- Loving someone is a loss of freedom -- but one doesn't think of it as loss because one gains so much else.
- Photographs... are the most curious indicators of reality.
Becoming Light: Poems New & Selected, 1991.
- Since flesh can't stay, we pass the words along.
- ...if you don't risk anything, you risk even more.