Thursday, October 20, 2011

No Cellphones, Please.

So you are at a restaurant / cafe / coffee shop, and the people with you are not really listening nor interacting with each other. They're just murmuring occasional assent to your remarks, or nodding at appropriate junctures, but for the most part, they're looking beyond you, scanning in search of something or someone more compelling, using their smartphones.

Is this the new era where we stop talking to one another verbally?

I am not saying we should not have smartphones because they are very important when it comes to dealing with emergencies and keeping in contact with the family, friends even business partners, but this over-use is getting completely out of hand. You CAN turn the smartphone off for a few hours because you don't always have to be in contact with everyone all the time. 

Yes, I'm clearly aware that this is not one of a pleasant blog posts, but I do feel I have to blog about this "issue". I do own an iPhone and feel incomplete everytime I accidentally left my phone at home. HOWEVER, I'm not the kind of person who always holds / checks on the phone every 2 minutes while hanging out with my friends or anybody. I find it disrespectful and somewhat appalling. When that happens, usually my mood drops a bit and wanting to get out of there as quickly as possible.  And I know I'm not the only one because some of my friends and other people feel the same. So please keep your thumbs still when people are talking to you. Don't let technology ruins your friendship / other relationship. It wouldn't hurt you to learn some manners right?

Thinking to apply this when hanging out with friends / colleagues / family. (via Pinterest)
.

No comments:

Share This!


share/bookmark

Pin it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails