Sunday, February 26, 2012

Phantom of the Opera

As I mentioned here, I went to see this Broadway musical last Friday. It was simply amazing. As soon as the music started, I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It was Ivan Jacob's Phantom of the Opera, not Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's. 

I haven't got the chance to attend Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Phantom of the Opera" just yet, maybe one day. I would still love to go eventhough I already watched "The Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary Performance" DVD for more than 3 times (and I bawled more than 3 times!)! I recommend you to buy this DVD. You wouldn't want to miss Ramin Karimloo as The Phantom, Sierra Boggess as Christine Daae. C'est Magnifique!

Eventhough Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's is grander, stage is wonderfully set up and the music is unbelievably beyond beautiful (it's really quite unfair to compare these two work of art), I have to take my hats off to Ivan Jacobs and his team. The actors did a fantastic job and the music was very touching. I'm already used to Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's music but I think it's lovely to hear and enjoy Ivan Jacob's music, they are truly brilliant composers. And of course I have great respect for proper acting, meaning, on stage - not in front of cameras where mistakes get edited out. The musical really made my day and would recommend my fellow Indonesians to go see it before they go back to NYC. Just one word of advice, choose where you sit carefully if you want to buy the balcony section. Row EE and up probably the best seats for that section. Be open minded, appreciate the musical team's hard work and enjoy the show!









PS. If you haven't read the book or watched any of Phantom of the Opera musical, you might want to check out the film adaptation of Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and Charles Hart's 1986 stage musical. I watched it almost a decade ago, great film... I loved it!

No comments:

Share This!


share/bookmark

Pin it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails