Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Picture of Dorian Gray

Oscar Wilde’s only novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray, is a beautiful work of art. I read the book few years ago, it was quite unlike anything I had ever read. Oscar Wilde is unreal. I’m not exactly sure I liked it, but it is certainly an amusing read. And for me, the most quotable material from the book is this part: 

“I have grown to love secrecy. It seems to be the one thing that can make modern life mysterious or marvelous to us. The commonest thing is delightful if one only hides it. When I leave town now I never tell my people where I am going. If I did, I would lose all my pleasure. It is a silly habit, I dare say, but somehow it seems to bring a great deal of romance into one’s life. I suppose you think me awfully foolish about it?” - Basil Hallwar, the painter.


It is sort of entertaining to know that Basil Hallwar and I have the same silly habit for the same silly reason ((:

Title page of the first edition, 1891.  --- image via Google/searchimage



No comments:

Share This!


share/bookmark

Pin it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails