Monday, September 13, 2010

Let There Be Peace in Indonesia

I'm deeply concerned with the current event in my country, the beautiful Indonesia. Last Sunday a priest was hit and a God servant was stabbed minutes before the Sunday morning service in Bekasi, Indonesia. 

First, let me say that I am not representing anyone. I can't claim to speak for anyone but myself, though I hope that many others feel as I do.

Second, This can't be explained rationally because this is purely an emotional response. Obviously, Christians have the same right to worship when and where they please, just as any other religion in Indonesia. The same rules of tolerance that allow a priest to preach his message also allow Muslims to preach theirs.
 
We may never be able to agree on some things. That is life. But let us all agree to some terms. Let's agree not to tolerate hatred -- toward Muslims, Christians, Catholics, Buddhists, Hindus, atheists or any others. Let's agree not to use inflammatory language and anarchism. Let's agree to call out and condemn those who would incite riot, whether it's an imam who orders the death of a priest or the preacher who wants to burn another man's holy book. Thank God, the Indonesians from Muslim Groups, Catholics and the Government agreed that the kind of anarchy act is unacceptable and the people behind it should be held responsible and be punished by law.

Let's agree that sometimes we will disagree but that none of this makes any sense if worshiping the creator means we must destroy each other in the process. Anyone who believes in God can't also believe that his divine plan included his creation's mutual destruction. May there be peace in Indonesia.

As a firm believer and follower of Jesus Christ, my reaction to this horrible event is praying for the people who stabbed and hit the victims. As written in Luke 23:34 "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." Jesus is love. He teaches us how to love one another including our enemies (I'm not gonna lie here, but it is hard to love my enemies and frenemies). I'm still hoping I could love just the way He wants me to love. And by praying for the people behind the stabbing, it is me trying to love. 

No comments:

Share This!


share/bookmark

Pin it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails