Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sweet Sixteen


People often look back on their life and remember another time when life seemed so good. Selective memories are a common human trait. To be more selective, let's go back to where we were sixteen. because well most people had their good life when they were sixteen. Do you remember what it's like being sixteen? I remember only to vividly what it was like being sixteen and I probably wouldn't want to re-live it. When I was sixteen, I think I would have been completely and sublimely happy if some cute boys liked me and I get to hang out with my friends everytime and simply being rebellious and secretive and feeling too cool for school *lol* But I do know that I had great fun back then, being carefree all the time and hoping for a great future ahead. 

Few weeks ago I stumbled upon interesting articles of some sixteen years old sailor, Abby Sunderland. Have you heard about Abby Sunderland? She’s sixteen and going around the world on a sail boat by herself. The scariest thing I did when I was sixteen was skipping school by jumping out my school's prison-like-walls. It was really fun. For me, it was funner than taking eight months away from friends and sailing around the world alone. But different strokes for different folks.

Meet Abby Sunderland from Californa, USA. She's sixteen, prepared herself for 3 years before sailing solo. Born in a family who likes sailing, be the youngest sailor who travels solo around the world was her dream. On January 2010, this brave teenage sailor departed Cabo San Lukas - Mexico with her boat, Wild Eyes, a 40-foot sloop built in 2001to fulfill her dream.


Until one day in June, Abby was feared lost at Indian Ocean. She sailed into storm and managed to survive until unexpectedly a 30 feet rogue wave hit her boat and turned it upside down.Then Abby manually activated two emergency beacons shortly after, while the safe and rescue team worked immensely hard to find her, she waited floating in the Indian Ocean for 48 hours. In the middle of nowhere. I'm pausing right here for a moment. What would you do if you were in her shoes? How would you feel? 

Then they found her within 48 hours and saved her life. After experiencing that horrendous event, I would obviously call it quits. But Abby hasn’t deflated her drive to sail around the world, she said, "I’m definitely going to sail around the world again, or at least give it another try."

So, I write to tell not only the youth, but also everyone for that matter to follow the examples displayed by Abby. Find a dream, and chase that dream. Find the courage within you to go above and beyond to achieve that goal. Turn off the “tube” and quit watching bad actors interact. Instead, interact with the interesting, very real people around you. And, don’t just sit around imagining what you may become — go out and become that person. I praise Abby for chasing her dreams and goals, and attempting such a difficult challenge. I wish her the best in all of her endeavors, and look forward to the day when she does sail around the world.

These are photos Abby took while chasing her dream then posted to her facebook page. I simply found them, extraordinary! Bravo Abby!










via Abby Sunderland's website and facebook page

No comments:

Share This!


share/bookmark

Pin it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails