Saturday, October 22, 2011

Be Humanitarian

I just voted for Robin Lim as CNN Hero of the Year. Amazing woman. Check out her website: Robin Lim Support. I love people like her and Budi Soehardi who was also on Top 10 CNN Heroes in 2009 for championing children. People like them are truly amazing. And since I've always wanted to become a philanthropist  (thank you Audrey Hepburn for the inspiration) and I did list this thing on my new year's resolution this year (see list #2), moreover as of September 2011, I'm officially one of United Nations online volunteers.Yay!

This is only the beginning, I'm planning to contribute more next year and many years to come, for as long as I live. Because for all I know, there's a world out there that isn't a fun place for everyone. I'm grateful for my life and I want to share what I have with people who are less fortunate. I take each tiny little change, one baby step at a time. If you add all those baby steps together, it is a journey. Like the old saying, "A journey of a thousand miles starts in front of your feet." Make no mistake, I'm no angel, I'm just trying to make a difference in my life and other people's lives. And as a Christian,  trying to apply the "What Would Jesus Do" to my life.

We seriously need to become aware of the world around us, don't act like we’re the only people on the face of the planet and while we complain about heartbreaks or stuck in bad traffic. There are people going through REAL situations out there. Let’s open our eyes and see that life is about a much bigger picture, it’s not about us…

ps. anyone wants to join or contribute? the more the merrier and more help can be given to those in need. If you are in Indonesia and interested in joining my humanitarian mission trip next year, please leave a comment so I could give you more details. God bless!

pps. check out Lonely Planet's suggestions for going on a holiday with volunteering.

via tumblr

"You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make."
-Jane Goodall

No comments:

Share This!


share/bookmark

Pin it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails